Wednesday, May 9, 2007

out my door

my mother
as always,
knows best.
she told me
to do what i want to do,
until i get tired of it.

but my pride got the most of me.
so i kept my distance.
i left you
alone.


why did you have to call me,
and askme how i was?
what do you care?


it will not change things.
you will still be there,
and i,
here.

so what is it to you
if i enjoyed viewing the egyptian tomb
on display at the met?


why do you want to know?

is it to assuage your guilt?
to make you feel slightly better
that i do not cry
myself to sleep anymore?

do you want to know
if i am okay
so
you can go ahead
and tell me that once
and for all
that
we are over?

i thought we were over
the moment
you walked out my door.

so

why do you want to know?

i told you
you can do
what you want to do.

it's okay, really.
you already walked out my door.


what you do
with your time
is
not
my
business
anymore.

because

you already walked out my door.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi,

I like the images and the feelings they conjure in this poem. If I may be allowed to give suggestions, which of course you may use or just throw out the window, here they are:

1. I think the poem really starts at the third stanza. The first two are unnecessary and may be another poem altogether.

2. I would have used "you already walked out of my door" as some sort of a refrain for emphasis. MAybe ending each line with it. Or maybe, this poem can work as a villanelle, too.

So there. Keep on writing. These poems are good. They're straight from the heart.