Thursday, January 10, 2008

my boys' got game

i love basketball, and it is always a treat for me to watch my students play. last tuesday i went to watch portions of four different games-- for the love of basketball, and more importantly, for the love of my kids.

our teams won all four games, i'm happy to say, but it wasn't about them winning. i just loved the fact that i get to see them play ball. it's like all of a sudden, my kids have morphed into these superheroes right before my eyes. they just shine. i feel like a proud momma all of a sudden.okay scrap that, maybe a proud cool aunt.

what struck me with this simple gesture of watching my boys play is the effect it had on them. i watched them play because i wanted to watch basketball, that was my primary reason. my second reason is to show support to my school's team, particularly to my students. i was a bit shy and uncomfortable showing up at their game because i'm a new teacher and all. normally i would be the loudest fan in the stands. i would yell myself hoarse until i can't teach the next day, much to the delight of my students. anyway, so back in tuesday's game i acted all prim and proper (gasp!) even though i was itching to jump, throw my fist in the air and scream my boys' names out loud. i didn't want to embarrass myself, and i didn't want to embarrass my students.

but you know what? i think my presence there meant a lot to them. it sure did mean a lot to me. seeing them shine in the court made me see them as even greater, cooler kids that they already are. i know my kids are not the easiest bunch to teach, and so far, my first few days have been an everyday struggle. when i watched them dance their way on the court and lord over the basket, i felt like i had the privilege of taking a sneak peek into the lives of my kids outside my class. they are just amazing. W, my soft spoken, shy sophomore in my first period class, towered in the game. he made those amazing rebounds and slammed shut the opponent with his in your face blocks. he was awesome. yet the next day, he took his place in my class as if it was just another day in school. i held out my hand and told him i saw him play and he did such a great job. he flashed me that smile that i know make the girls swoon. he's a good kid, W. J, another crazy cool kid from that class was an excellent guard. he's very graceful in the court and he can weave his way around the towering defensive players of the other team. T, my quiet and mostly unaffected sophomore in period 2 is dangerous in the court. he doesn't say much in class, but in the court, it's like watching him deliver a powerful speech. he says a lot with those magnificent lay ups and mad steals. he is just great. A, who is crazy already, one of my clowns in the 7th period class is monster in the court. he barely left the game. his energy is boundless. the fastbreaks that he pulled were just beyond words. he may goof off in class and drive me crazy with his constant pleas for more candy, but man A is very serious with his game.

i'm glad i showed up for their game. i'll make it a habit to watch them play whenever possible. for friday's game, A gave me a head's up on their schedule and told me i better show up on time. i showed up late, but i compensated by being the loudest, most annoying fan in the stand. A gave me a look of disapproval, almost telling not to be too excited, i looked at the team ( i made it a point to sit behind their bench) and i knew deep inside they appreciated this loud mouth.

unfortunately, my boys lost by one point, but it doesn't matter. i'll yell and cheer for them until the refs drag me out of the gym.

i love basketball. yun lang, tengks.

No comments: