Wednesday, January 2, 2008

the year that was

music : these are days by 10,000 maniacs

2007 is finally over. back in the second quarter of last year, all i can think about was to get this year over and done with. as always, the ever impatient jane just wanted this bitter year to end, not to look back and just look ahead.

but looking back is the catharsis that wraps up what to me has been a pretty good year after all.


first quarter

in my past life, things were getting shaky by the day. i was trying to save a marriage doomed from the beginning. i fought, bravely i think, but marriage is not an individual sport. i flew to the west coast, finally. i saw my dear aunt, my godmother, another aunt. i saw two beloved blogkada. i visited a dear friend, and mother of one of my adorable godsons.


second quarter

it was finally over. sleepless nights. zombie-like existence. i tried to keep myself together, for the sake of my students. i was kept together by the support of my friends, more like family here. moonshine, matt and jonah were my home. karen, a source of comfort. i sought the solace of my church, and i made it through the last months of school. i spent my 31st birthday in the company of my dearest friends in maryland. i left a trail of tears in DC. i resigned from my job, giving up my chances of getting tenure in my school district. was i mess? that is an understatement. i decided to move to canada to be with my family. was i still fighting? yes.


third quarter

i met chocnut, and found my long lost big "sister". kept myself busy in summer camp, teaching comedy while still in mourning. i got a tattoo, i went out on a date. met a mirror of myself, a great friend. went on my first ever solo road trip-- a 4 hour drive to MD. a memorable labor day. goodbye canada, this jersey girl stayed. i lost my job and i subbed back in my district, worked in a liquor store. i went to ed's church and my life was changed by this church service. "whatever it takes, Lord."
i just woke up one day and said to myself enough being depressed. for once this year, my vision cleared.


last quarter

continued working at my old school as a long term sub. connected with karen's students. learned algebra and re learned basic genetics. guitar playlist getting longer. i met c. spent thanksgiving with moonshine's family. i discovered times square church. learned how to save money. finally on the first day of winter, i got hired back in my district.

for the first time in 7 years, i was awake to welcome the new year.


i have love and lost in the first half of this year, but i found myself and saw everything clearly with the loving support of my family and real friends.


with my head bowed in prayer and thanksgiving, i said goodbye to you, 2007 and welcomed 2008 with a smile.

i will borrow chocnut's motto : "absolutely no regrets."

No comments: