Sunday, July 13, 2008

my hips don't lie aka my first ever dance lessons

i am rhythmically challenged. my arms and feet are not friends at all. since a wee urchin i was what you called "matigas ang katawan" (stiff-bodied ; graceless). in many family gatherings where the little kids are forced to do a song/dance number in front of relatives from other cities, i would always do the song number. the evil twins, charry and jocel would always do the dance number. charry and raissa took hawaiian dancing lessons. i took naps. i just can't seem to follow any beat or rhythm. but carry a tune i can.

and so during my teenage years, in dance parties, i would join the other girls who would incubate chairs. or as amy puts it, we "chair danced."
even during my vacation with my high school girlfriends this year i didn't really join them in the dancing. too shy. too awkward.

but i wish i can dance.

i do. at home while i clean up my apartment.
i do dance, in my car.

lately, i've been listening to a lot of upbeat ear candy songs and just go nuts in my living room.

my moves? maybe something similar to an epileptic seizure. or variations of head banging.

and so when the opportunity came to learn a new "skill" i jumped at the idea of learning how to dance.

belly dance.

woo-hoo

i have belly and i wanna dance, so i will belly dance.

armed with my fuschia hip scarf with three layers of bells, i went to the venue and hoped for the best.


man, i had a blast! my teacher is gorgeous, very patient and very very encouraging. there were about 10 ladies in the class and we all had a great time throwing our hips in all directions. waving our hands and turning our heads from side to side. i feel like a pantene girl and sure am glad my hair is long. there's something very sexy about the music and the dance.

wow, ang haba ng hair ko!!!


i can't wait for lesson # 2!

1 comment:

JMom said...

Oh I want to bellydance! I wish I can find a class in our area.

You are looking positively beautiful, jop :)

JMom