Thursday, September 25, 2008

tight


my schedule is awesome. i get the two difficult classes in the first two hours of school, and it's just a sweet ride from there. true, i know it's really stressful no matter what, but at least i can face the rest of the day looking forward to my three other classes.

my sophomores, who are a funny bunch, but can really test the patience of saints, have a tendency to rip each other apart. unfortunately, a thin wall separates my room from the other room. the next class can hear me and my kids LOUD and CLEAR.

incidentally, some of the kids next door are my freshmen students.

great.

this morning, B asked me if i was tired. i thought she asked me if i was tight. tight means, if i've had it up to my neck and i'm millimeters away from being furious.

me: oh i thought you asked if i was tight.
B : (laughing) miss, you know what "tight" means.
me : yeah i know, it means i'm angry.
B : what you be knowing these words by black people for?
me : i might was well, i hang out with all of you all day anyway, might as well know your language.
B : you funny, miss.
me : you have no idea.


and so halfway into class, after repeatedly imploring my kids to stay on task. i put my arms on my waist and yelled


"I'M TIGHT NOW!"


silence.


"and you all better believe it"

i gave them homework and they laughed at my face. they said i'm funny.

goodness me, i didn't know i'd be a comic teaching them kidz.

hmph.









No comments: