Monday, September 1, 2008

a suit story

background music : teenage love affair by alicia keys

i did it. i bought my first ever adult power suit. i said something about looking the part of a serious educator right? well at least le's get the "look" like a serious educator right. i think there's something psychological with wearing clothes that look good on you and clothes that exude a certain aura or purpose. costume/props it may seem, but i found that clothes have that effect on me.

while Z was snoozing, i took my final summer walk at the outlet malls and proceeded to the usual shops that i go to. i already know that for me to get the perfect suit, i have to go to my favorite tailor to alter the suit to my specs. even the short length pants or trousers from banana republic and j crew still have to hemmed for my height, or lack thereof.

i have always loved the chinos at j crew. the clothes, most if them i like, but i do not like them enough to shell out that much money. this is why H and M is my favorite clothing store because they have relatively inexpensive but stylish and trendy clothes. my friend lubsi also loves j. crew and this is what she calls, the place where she let's out her "preppy white self."

lucky for me, there's a j. crew outlet here down da shore.

nomally, a decent and quality all natural cloth material suit costs about $150-$200 average. and that's just the jacket. a pair of suit pants costs anywhere between $50-$120. i got both for $170. with alterations, im looking at an additional $30, but that leaves me with a $200 investment on a suit. alteration is expensive, but a must for a good fit. would've had my suit altered anyway, no matter where i bought it.

but wait, there's more to this story. i seem to really it it off with gay guys. travis, the sales assistant who hooked me up with j.crew's 15% teacher's discount was just fabulous. he noticed the trapeze top that i wore which i cinched with a belt, i told him they were both from old navy at $5 each and he was floored. i knew right there and then that he will take care of me.

and took care of me he did. i really didn't bring my NJEA card, but because i looked cute in the suit that we picked and because he said i had style, he spoke to his manager and i ended up with a 30% off on the suit for labor day sale and an additional 15%. and since i was in jersey, there is no sales tax.

i will post a picture when i have my first classroom observation. i felt a little strange looking at the chick in the suit looking back at me from the mirror. so grown up and quite sophisticated. but #1 fan approves. he says i should meet his folks in this suit.

yeah, right.

meanwhile, methinks i better practice walking around in heels with this suit.

No comments: