Saturday, May 10, 2008

fresh

i dunno what's with me lately, but since the patch, i've become more irritable and dead on serious when in comes to discipline.

i was telling off one of my boys and i was about to send him out of my classroom. my door was half open when some jack ass decides he wants a piece of the action and yells "SHUT UP!" at me at the top of his lungs as he strode by my hallway. when i turned to see who the culprit was, he ducked and ran for his life.

see virginia, the thing with teaching in the ed box is, my boys got my back. it's an unspoken rule that in the classroom, it is "alright" if they give me problems, but if someone outside of the class gives me a headache, they got my back.

by the end of the day i got the "boy's" name. "boy" is 17 and still a freshman (for the past three years). the next day, i pulled out his file from our database, tracked his schedule to serve him his lunch detention notice. i thought i saw him in the hallway, so i asked if indeed he was so and so. he said no. i said sorry for the mistake but i had the suspicion it was him. with the help of another teacher, who identified him, i served him his detention notice. boy went ballistic acting like a 6 year old having a temper tantrum.

boy : i ain't serving no damn lunch detention with you!"
me : what's the matter? well, when you shouted shut up, it was clear you wanted my attention. you're gonna have my complete attention now, all 25 minutes of it.
boy : it's my lunch time now, i'm gonna go get my lunch first.
me : no, you'll get lunch after your detention. lunchroom's not going anywhere.
(meantime, a couple of my kids already worked out a plan to look out for him in case he tries to hide)
boy : (mutters to himself) damn this shit...
me : noo-ni-noo-ni-noo.

boy sits in my classroom giving me killer looks

me: what's wrong with your eyes? better see an eye doctor for that.
boy : nothing's wrong with my eyes. what you talking about?
me : suits me just fine, you looking at me like that as long as you keep looking at me like that for the whole 25 minutes.
(boys looks away while i put on my mp3 player and busied myself tidying my desk)

a few of my boys "drop by" to say hello to him laughing at boy who got caught.

one of my boys, the "captain" of the group snickered and told him

"that's what you get for messin with our teachuh, n---- she's OG!"





3 comments:

Panaderos said...

You have very good kids in your class after all. Glad to know that when push comes to shove, they're all on your side. :)

As for THAT kid, I guess he's going for a Ph.D. degree as a freshman. Hahaha

Louie said...

holy lord, what an exciting life! - louie

Scoot said...

You rock!