Sunday, June 7, 2009

The American idol Phenom

Yes, I also used to watch American Idol.

Yes, I have, at one point called the 1866 or 1800 to cast my vote.

I love Kelly Clarkson.

The chapter on American Idol brought back memories of eagerly making it home in time to plop myself in front of the TV and yell out loud to it, either in glee or indignation at the talents and/or lack thereof on the contestants. The cattiness of Simon Cowell was also amusing.

Reading Jenkins book was amusing too. I can definitely say I am one of the people he's talking about. Yes, I was guilty of voting for Jasmine Trias, the Hawaiian contestant because of her Filipino ancestry.

What blew my mind (a bit) was how it took one show to fast forward the popularity of what now is seemingly and indispensable means of communication : texting. FI\inally, America embraced the wonderful world of text messaging. Finally, we caught up with the other half of the world who has used text messaging for quite some time now.


Again, the question the bugged me was, can we use text messagins for a greater good other than teach our youth how to be creative spellers?


I kid you not. In the Philippines, since we don't have 911, one can just text his/her friendly police station for help.


gah.

1 comment:

jbb said...

Something else that you might want to add to your summer reading is Howard Rheingold's book Smart Mobs. He talks about why text-messaging took so long to take hold in the US versus why it caught on so quickly in Europe and Asian (think private "conversations" without having everyone you live with overhearing...). Good stuff. Oh, and American wireless companies aren't known for adopting new models of communication very quickly.