Sunday, June 14, 2009

THE STAR WARS SAGA

I have mixed emotions about Quentin Terentino’s StarWars Chapter (Jenkins, 2006). For one thing, Jenkin’s discussion illuminated both the fans and the creator/artists side of creative convergence on the whole Star Wars universe. I definitely gained insights from both sides. At first, I sided with the Star Wars fan in their battle against Lucas and his big guns. This is why I recall definitely enjoying watching the Southpark brat pack jab at George Lucas in their signature irreverent humor. In that particular south park episode, George Lucas’s character was portrayed as overprotective , lawsuit-happy artist who acted like a diva and would not allow any change, be it major or minor to be done on any of his “works” without his approval.

The age of internet has definitely brought a forceful change in the artist/creator-fan dynamics. Fans can gather in cyberspace and discuss anything and everything they want about their favorite artwork and or artist. These discussions can also inspire creative fan work as an homage to the artist. I can see how this is exciting for any hardcore fan of comic books or film. Indeed, the internet has provided the venue and platform to which fans can meet and interact without even stepping our of their doorsteps.

On a personal note, As much as I am thrilled to find and interact kindred spirits. I am more of a purist. I let the artist do as s/he pleases. I respect the artist’s work and I’d like to leave her/him in peace. I suppose the Star Wars fans are a different breed of fans. They really hard core, and they,live, eat and breathe Star Wars. I guess I’m what you may call a distant or a diluted Star Wars fan. I have a few action figures, a talking Yoda doll that every new guest has to pose with for pictures. I love Kevin Smith movies because Jay and Silent Bob always makes cultural reference about GL and Star Wars. Yada yada yada. I geddit, some of us can’t seem to get enough of it, so much so they have perverted some of the characters and wrote erotic fan fiction about Star Wars Characters. I mean, really? The only hot character I can marginally consider as hot is Han Solo, but then I’ve had a crush on him as Indiana Jones.

I take the side of GL on this erotic fan fiction thing. I mean, those works are simply disrespectful and irresponsible. Discussion boards and offshoot stories are fine. I think they actually help enrich he Star Wars universe that GL may not (gasp) have thought of. Point in case is the game aspect of the Star Wars business empire. The game developer has acknowledged that he used the help of Star Wars fan to recreate a richer Star Wars environment since they obviously know a lot about the SW world that he does. In this case, two heads is better than one. Parodies may be fine to a certain extent and to a certain degree of humor, Star Wars erotica is stepping over the line.

1 comment:

jbb said...

So imagine that JK release only two books or maybe three, and then there was like a 15-year wait for the next books to come out. As a fan I'm sure you'd go crazy waiting for those next books. That's the difference between the Star Wars series and Harry Potter. And even though HP fans are just a devote creating their own renditions of the stories. The Internet has definitely changed what fans can do as far as expressing their affection for their favorite fictional universe.