Sunday, June 28, 2009

lighting a spark

Roz and Ben Zanders shared stories in a world of possibilities when someone entertains, or even embrace the possibility in an otherwise hopeless situation.

I'm sure you've all had teachers who have lit a spark in your life, one way or another. They have left a warm ember in your heart that you kept within you, and before you know it, it had lit up inside of you and have resided in there, with a steady burn.

Although I'm an English teacher, it was not my favorite subject in school. It was not because I did have excellent teachers, it's just that my Social Studies teachers have always lit a spark in me.


I have always maintained close ties with my first batch of students. Most teachers will never forget the first batch of kids that they taught. On the weekend before my birthday, I saw 3 of my former students, all professionals, all grown up.





It always gives me pride to see them, and how well they have succeeded in life. We talked about their high school days, the laughable moments and the silly stunts they pulled. I look at the man and two ladies and for myself, I wish that from then until my last teaching day, I can light a at least a tiny spark in my students' life.

1 comment:

jbb said...

I had one of my former 6th grade students re-introduce herself to me last year as a substitute teacher at the middle school I was teaching at. That was a mind-boggler. During those first few years I couldn't imagine that 13-years later my students would re-introduce themselves as college-graduate, married teachers. Yikes.